A young spine, with few exceptions, usually develops perfectly by the end of pregnancy. It's what happens around the time of delivery and in the months and years after birth which can sometimes upset the normal functioning of the spine.
Spinal segments can be misaligned initially from the trauma of the trip through the birth canal, or from the birthing process itself. Medical research has identified the fact that many problems early in a child's life can come from birth traumas.
Children's spines are a lot more mobile than those of adults and as a result, usually respond to care in a shorter period of time.
Spinal misalignments can also occur as a result of:
- the frequent falls suffered by toddlers in the first years of life
- fall from a bed or a fall down the stairs
- a sudden stop in an automobile
- any significant unsupported movement of the head and neck
- the act of learning to walk and the number of simple falls
- heavy or improperly fitted backpacks
- poor posture
- sports injuries
Symptoms to watch for and common problems for which parents seek the advice of a chiropractor are:
- growing pains
- foot imbalances
- back pain
- leg pains
- slouching or imbalanced shoulders or hips
At Vancouver Chiropractic we will conduct a careful and thorough evaluation of your child's spine. Dr. Nora Rahemtulla is trained to evaluate pediatric spinal problems and will use gentle, specific skills to identify, evaluate, and treat any involved spinal areas.